Monday, August 3, 2009

Be Ready

Today while in the grocery store, a young man (high schooler) by the name of Bret came up to me, extended his arms and gave me a hello side hug. I was kind of surprised...after all we weren't in church and he didn't have to do that. We had a brief conversation. My heart strings were tugging for this young man as I know he has struggles. Perhaps more than most at his age. Brief words were probably exactly what he needed along with that hug. As parents we often throw are arms up to the heavens to relent to God when we just have no more answers in parenting. We aren't giving up, but giving in and really, isn't that the only way Jesus can shine through a person? I've been there as a parent and have had lots of practice!! (I'm a very slow learner.) I see Bret's parents struggle with discernment issues and feel their fight to get it right. Today, Bret just needed a hug. It profoundly spoke to me that we need to be ready...ready to be used of God in perhaps the smallest ways. Hugs are underestimated and can be a healing source for a hurting soul. Be ready to be used.

1 comment:

cherie said...

Thanks for sharing that !